Monday, May 19, 2008

While I'm blogging...

Edited to add this photo of Em with her watch and the new dress. The pink plaid one was a bit too small so I was going to exchange it for the next size up. On the off chance that she'd changed her mind, I asked her if she'd prefer the other one she'd tried on and of course, she did.


I have to write this down so I don't forget it.

Emmy has been struggling to keep her undies dry for over a year now. She rarely wets her pants, it's usually just a few drops, but all of the underwear changes every day were driving me batty. At first I think it was a clue for her to get going, and then I think it got to a point where she just wanted to change from her kitty ones to her "wadybug" ones, and then...I don't know. Habit maybe? Josh came up with the idea to get her a watch with an alarm on it which he set to go off every hour as a reminder to head for the bathroom. For every day she stayed dry, we gave her a dollar. I had been planning to take her on a special shopping spree anyway, so this worked well to everyone's satisfaction.

On with the story.

After she'd stayed dry for 6 days, we went to WalMart to see what we could see. Emmy chose a sweet little pink and green plaid dress and we were headed to buy it when the trusty watch alarm went off.

Now there's something you should know about Emmy. Elderly people melt when they see her. Everywhere we go it's the same and the bathroom is no exception. As we entered, an old woman was shuffling out of one of the stalls, leaning heavily on her cane. Her face lit up when she saw Emmy and she ambled over to have a chat.

Lady: "Oooh, aren't you a pretty little girl! I would guess that you're about three years old."

Emmy: "Yes, I am and my mom says I can wipe mysewf!"

Me: (dies a little bit)

Lady: "Oh, that's wonderful, Sweetheart!"

Me: "Come along, Em. You need to get on the potty now."

Emmy: "It wuv nice to mee-chu!"

She then takes one step away from the lady and loudly asks:

"Momma? Was that a MAN?"

Me: (dies a little more) "Oh. No. (insert high-pitched nervous laugh here) Only ladies in here, sweetie. This is the ladies' room."

4 comments:

  1. I'll try to comment once more...

    Well, reading your story on Em..it brought back memories, about how you caused me the same kind of moments until you got old enough to have cultivated a little tack.


    he, he,

    ~mom~

    ReplyDelete
  2. every mother's worst nightmare.
    Rebekah was caressing a dear friend's beautiful face when she said, not unkindly, "You are an OOOOOOOLD woman!"
    My dear friend was sweet enough to recount the story for me since I missed it.
    She thought it was hilarious - I on the other hand was looking for a hole to crawl into!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, that's so great! hahaha Leave to a kid..:D I can feel the color in my face rising, and I wasn't even there. :D

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive