Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Yesterday...

was a great day. It was a day to thank God for his mercy and kindness. It was a day to reflect on how dear each of my children is and how much I would miss them if God chose to take them from me.

It was 94 degrees. The humidty was stifling. Josh and I had an appointment for little Walt in Syracuse so Emmy and Addie were going to go grocery shopping with Lonna, Jen, and Ann (my m-i-l and sisters-i-l) and Joshy was going to ride along with us. I was up in my room nursing the baby and getting things ready to go when Emmy came to kiss me goodbye. She was wearing the pink dress Auntie Kristie sent down. Her hair in pigtail knots all curly from the humidity. She looked so beautiful. After giving her a kiss, she went downstairs and I heard Addie saying "BYE! BYE!" so I thought they had left.

Emmy, wanting to prove how big she is, had gone out to the van herself and strapped herself into her carseat. The van was parked in full sun and none of us knew she was in there. The Lord had Ann go out to start the van and get the A/C going and she found Emmy, red as a beet and exhausted from crying. A few more minutes could have been her death in that hot vehicle.

Her temperature had gone down to 95 degrees due to shock. My husband, who I will never tease again about reading survival books, acted quickly to get her temperature stablized. He said he's never been more afraid in his life than he was when he saw her.

I don't know how much time God will allow me to be mother to these four kids, but I know how blessed, how utterly blessed, I am to hold them all today.

9 comments:

  1. Oh my!!!! My heart was in my throat and tears came to my eyes while reading the account. I am SO thankful that God spared Emmy, and sent Annie out at the right time. That was close - praise God for His protecting hand upon you and your little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so scary to read! I can not imagine how it was to those present! So glad to hear she is OK! Thank you, God!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Lord is truly wonderful! It brought tears to my eyes too. We are both very blessed. For me it
    is easy to get so caught up in the
    busyness of life and forget to
    spend time just loving my children.
    Reading of your scare made me want to go wake them all up and give them a big hug!
    I am so thankful that Emmy is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, Manda! Thanks for sharing this! I am so thankful that Emily was saved. God should be praised for his wonderful works to the children of men! psalm 107.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I think I have chills now. Praise God, a deliverance indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Amanda, what a scary scary thing to happen.... praise God for saving Emmy's life!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess with this happening, it would be a good idea to leave the vehicles locked so it can not happen again...poor little Emily. Were you still able to make it to Walter's Doctor appointment?

    Thank you for sharing about Emily's trial, this a good warning to be careful to keep our vehicles locked during such hot weather..especially where there are little children.

    love,

    ~m~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, we still made it since it wasn't scheduled until later in the afternoon.

    We're keeping the doors locked, the keys up, and the kids in view at all times now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Telling John about Emily's trial, he reminded me about one of Uncle Danny's little boys, I think Joel... going missing, and he was finally found in the hot Tractor cab...I had forgotten about that..

    Sorry, to read that you all have colds...hopefully little Walt will be spared...I remember buying a little white bulb that is made for the purpose of removing mucus from baby noses...trying to use it, and finally just giving up and using my own mouth over the clogged little nose, and spitting out the results...YUCK....yep...but the results were my little girl could then nurse...I don't think I've ever shared that with anyone, but when a mother is desperate to get her baby to be able to nurse, you certainly do not want a baby who is already ill to become dehydrated..you will do just about anything.
    My, my so many years ago now..

    Glad to read that little Walt's feet are progressing so quickly...God is Good!

    love,

    xxoo
    ~m~

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive