Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Positive thoughts, anyone?

Alrighty, I'm back. I've been spending all of my allotted blogging time keeping up with the debate about homosexuality that's been going on at John's blog. It's not really surprising why our society is on a downward spiral. The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world, no?

I promised to flesh out my thoughts about positive thinking awhile back. Believe it or not, knowing that I haven't done it yet has been burdening me. Enslaved to my own blog. ACK! :) So here goes. I *do* believe that what we allow ourselves to think upon and the words we let out of our mouths have a big impact on our character; who we become. Pro 23:7a . For as he thinketh in his heart, so [is] he... Pro 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it [are] the issues of life. If we are continually murmuring on the inside, it won't be long before we'll spew it forth out of our mouths and make manifest what unthankful, discontent people we are. Likewise, if we're prone to worry and don't check ourselves, we will become depressed and begin to self-destruct spiritually, emotionally, and physically.

On the other hand, if we consciously focus on all of the good gifts we've been given by the Lord, it's very hard to grumble. If we meditate on God's promises until they are hidden in our hearts and sing God's praises with our lips, how can we help but be positive people? Notice I didn't say "believe in yourself" or "dig deep within and find the hidden strength and joy that you didn't know you had"! True happiness can only be found in Christ. What I'm advocating is merely cheerful(although I grant that it's easier said than done) obedience when God says, "rejoice everymore" and "in everything give thanks", and the clinging to His promises in faith.

1Pe 3:10
For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile:

There are many more aspects that I've been pondering, but Joshy has just konked out in my arms, so I'd best put him to bed and get back to work.

Please hit me with any thoughts you have on this subject!

3 comments:

  1. Howdy Amanda!

    I totally agree with you: we should be positive, and think of the good things God has given us. Is it difficult, though, to balance a cheerful attitude with an assessment of circumstances that isn't unrealistic? I'll explain.

    Often, it seems that Christians think that meditating on the good gifts of God should settle us in a state of entirely cheerful, non-negative beliefs, actions, and expressions. In other words, thinking upon the good things of God is supposed to make us never complain - ever. My question is this: is it an oversimplification to say that God wants us to never complain?

    As far as I can tell, it is an oversimplification. True: we may never complain against God; but we may - and sometimes must - complain against the wickedness of people. Of all people, Christians are the ones that should be most upset about sin, no? If genuine, this "upsetness" (Webster watch out! I think I just coined a new word!) is going to manifest itself outwardly. Just as it is impossible for a person to love God and not outwardly express it; likewise it is impossible for someone to hate tyranny, theft, murder, lies, idolatry, etc., and not outwardly manifest it. One of these outward manifestations of hatred for social (or personal) sin, however, is the outward voicing of negative sentiments about it. Accordingly, a Christian should be P.O.'d occasionally, and "complaining" (not ranting like I do) may be their duty at certain times.

    What do you think? Am I off my rocker (and just trying to justify complaining), or am I just restating the same thing you have said but from a different perspective?

    Admittedly, I think the "upsetness" (there it is again!) shouldn't be the attitude we exhibit most. Nevertheless, it seems it has its place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Manda.. you got it, babe. :)
    Good thoughts.
    ~~Irene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come to think of it, I don't see anything inconsistent with your post and my comment. Sorry. :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive