Friday, January 08, 2010

Thankful







A few weeks ago on the night we were celebrating seven December birthdays, including Addie's third, we had a good scare. Walter had been running a low grade fever of 99 degrees for a few hours and was clingy and fussy but not exhibiting any other symptoms. Josh and I took turns carrying him around throughout the party and then we excused ourselves to have family worship. During prayer, Walter folded his chubby little hands together, bowed his head low, and let out a strange sigh. Then his arms flew out to the side and he went into a seizure. I recognized what it was and called out to Josh. Walter was turning blue and convulsing uncontrollably in my arms. I swept my finger through his mouth to see if he was choking while Josh ran out of the room and shouted for Lonna to call 911. Josh thought he might be choking on his tongue so held him on his side and used his finger to keep his tongue down. Walter bit down hard it and also bit the inside of his mouth and tip of his tongue so blood started dripping out of his mouth. I thought he was dying!

The minutes seemed to eek by before he finally began to breath shallow little breaths again and the ambulance arrived. Never having dealt with febrile seizures before we had no idea what was wrong with him. He was pale and limp on the short ride to the hospital. They informed me that his seizure was likely due to his fever spiking rapidly. His little brain was simply too immature to deal with the sudden change in temperature and sort of short-circuited.

Once in the ER, Walter recovered steadily over the course of a few hours and we were sent home with instructions to lay him on his side and gently support but not restrain him if it occurred again. His fever lasted for another couple of days and he's been fine ever since.

We give praise to the Lord for our boy and are so thankful that it wasn't serious. I've never been so afraid in my life.

Psalm 56:3 "What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive